Saturday, October 27, 2018

Yummy Grits

I like grits.  I didn't really eat grits much growing up and didn't develop a love for them until a few years ago.  I like the creamy-ness of them, the little bit of texture to them and of course butter, salt and pepper.  Yum. 

Over the last couple years I have tried many a grit.  I think I have had all the different brands my grocery store carries.  I have come to like the generic "Kroger" brand best.  Some grits have bits of the kernel skin in them and some have a lot of the skin in them.  I don't like the skins in my grits and the Kroger brand cooks up creamy and skinless.  Try a few different kinds and you will see.

Creamy Grits:
Serves 1 if you want a bowl or 2 if you want a smaller portion.

3 TBS dry grits, Kroger brand Original Quick Grits
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup water
1 TBS butter


In a small sauce pan, add grits, water and salt.  Stir to mix. 




I just eyeball the salt.  This is about a 1/4 teaspoon.  It looks like a lot in my hand but it is spread out a bit.  Ha ha ha.

 Once the grits mixture starts to boil, turn down the heat to low. I usually put in on a touch higher than low, because I am not that patient.  Also give the grits a stir. Put a cover on them and let them cook for about 5 minutes. 
 Take the cover off and give them a stir again.  The grits should be starting to absorb the water and get soft.  Cover and let them cook a few more minutes.

You can see here that they are starting to get creamy but many are still holding their shape and there is still a good bit of moisture in the pot.  They are kind of runny at this point.



 Now they have cooked a few more minutes and they are really beginning to get a bit thicker and creamier. 

At this point you can let them cook a few more minutes and they will thicken more or you can take them off the stove and serve them.
 Add in 1 tablespoon of butter and stir.  I like to do this in the pot because there is more room there for stirring.  The butter really makes them creamy!

Now put them in a bowl and top with a bit more salt if you want and pepper.

You can also add sharp cheddar cheese!  Yum!


No comments: